Speaker Help!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Speaker Help!!!

Help me set up my simple speaker system.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Help me with my simple speaker setup

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Help me with my simple speaker setup Empty Help me with my simple speaker setup Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:25 pm

Admin

Admin

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to read my issue.

Ok so here is my dilemma.

I have a computer, an mp3 player, a mobile phone and a hi-fi.

I have a Sharp XL-30H hi-fi system with 2 standard speakers. Here are the specs, and I’m quoting from the manual here;
Type: Full range speaker system
Rated input power: 5 W
Maximum input power: 10 W
Impedance: 4 ohms
Amplifier output power: RMS; 10 W (5 W + 5 W) (10 % T.H.D.)

I have practically no idea what any of this means. I think watts is how loud they go, but I don’t know what impedance is, what RMS is etc… The way the speakers are connected to the hi-fi is through 4 wires. A left +, left -, right + and right -. The left + and – both go to the left speaker and the right + and – go to the right speaker. The following pictures illustrate this:

Help me with my simple speaker setup Back-o10
At the back of the speakers

Help me with my simple speaker setup Back-o11
At the back of the hi-fi

I think this is pretty standard for most home hi-fi systems.

My mp3 player and mobile phone both have a standard plug for headphones. It is a 3.5mm jack I think. The mp3 player and mobile phone have female connectors looking like the one below:

Help me with my simple speaker setup Female10

And this is the type of jack which fits into it:

Help me with my simple speaker setup Male10

My mp3 player is a Samsung YP-U2R and my mobile phone is a Sony Ericsson W810i. I do not know what power outputs either of these have when playing audio though their headphone sockets.

I also have a computer with standard female connection like my mp3 player and mobile phone. I have speakers for my computer (mains powered) which are Dell A215 with 1.5 W, RMS and volume control. They have a standard male connector (like for headphones) for the female connector on my PC. As I said above, I do not know what power output my phone and mp3 player have but I do know that when I connect my phone to my PC speakers, it takes the phone to be at full volume and the speakers to be at about 1/3 volume. When playing music from the computer, the speakers are usually at 1/4 volume.

So, you ask, why should I tell you all this? Well, you see I like playing music. And the music I like to play needs decent speakers to sound good. The built in speakers on my phone are very poor. The sound quality from my PC speakers and Hi-fi are good enough for my purposes. The only problem is, I like to play music in mp3 format and also listen to the radio. I have my mp3s on my phone, PC and mp3 player. The only thing is, when I want to listen to them (and have them played at a good quality) I have to turn on my PC.

Therefore, I was wondering if I could compile all my media sources (ie. My hi-fi, mp3 player, phone and PC) and play any of them at any time through my hi-fi and PC speakers. Obviously I would have to have my hi-fi and speakers turned on to do this, but it saves turning my PC on. Also, I could locate the hi-fi speakers at the back of my room and the PC speakers at the front of my room to get an even sound.

Maybe this diagram can demonstrate things better:

Help me with my simple speaker setup Diagra10

Some other things you should note. I am not willing to spend more than around £50 on this. I understand that I won’t get complete surround sound but so long as the left PC and Hi-fi speakers share the same left channel input and the same for the right speakers and channel, I will be happy. Also, please explain everything you say very clearly because I am new to this area.

If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to ask below.

PS. Sorry for the poor quality photos. I hope they demonstrate my question sufficiently.

Thank you in anticipation

Ryan Mckeown

https://myspeakershelp.rpg-board.net

2Help me with my simple speaker setup Empty Sit Rep Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:25 am

Admin

Admin

Ok sit rep on my problem is as such.

I now know how to join the 3 3.5mm cables into 1 3.5mm cable. I know I need an amp.

The updated diagram is available here:
Updated diagram and information

All I need to know now is:

1. How can I join the speaker cables from the amplifier and Hi-Fi together? (W10)
2. How can I convert the RCA output from the amplifier into my type of speaker cable? (W9)
3. Is there an adapter which I has a 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male connector? (W1)
4. How can I make sure the amplifier is set up correctly so that I do not damage my speakers?

Can anyone help with any of these points?

https://myspeakershelp.rpg-board.net

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum